Friday, April 10, 2009

Weekly goals to help get back to slow running: Water

The long term goal of this blog is to motivate me to get back to running. Since I've been mostly sedentary for about a month now, I've decided to set a simple goal each week. Hopefully all this prep will have me ready to hit my running circuit just a couple weeks after this baby arrives.

Facing down the 250lb mark again, after having been below it for 3 years might be a motivator, too. (For the record, my all time high weigh-in was 270lbs+).

This week I'm going to increase my water intake. I've fallen off the wagon in terms of healthy eating and drinking, so this is a simple step back.

Once upon a time I took a class about project management and the importance of having a plan to succeed. It's a good approach to accomplishing anything. Paraphrasing an excellent professor, a solid plan has at least:
  1. A stated objective
  2. The tasks required to complete the objective
  3. A time frame to complete the tasks
  4. A person assigned responsibility for the task
  5. An estimate of required resources
  6. Deliverable/Outcome
Finally there's a need to always look ahead to make sure that dependencies are accounted for and there are some contingency plans.

Drinking more water is probably more of a task, but I'll take it out a little further.

The objective:
  • Drink more water
The tasks:
  • Drink two cups of water before each meal & snack
  • Take a travel mug of water when on the road
  • Actually measure how much water goes in my standard drinking classes
The time frame:
  • Drink at least 8 cups of water/day and keep it up for at least 3 weeks
Responsibility:
  • That has to be me!

Required resources:
  • Mug at work
  • Ice cube tray at work
Outcome:
  • A lot more time in the bathroom.
  • Less last minute purchases of hot chocolate, juice, diet soda because there's no nearby cold water.
  • More satisfied feeling from my meals and less likely to over eat.
The dependencies:
  • Can't think of any.
The contingencies:
  • Traveling this weekend might be a problem. I'll be sure to drag around a travel mug so I don't have to waste money and environmental resources on bottled water.
  • Around the house I'll add a second jug of water to the fridge.
  • Make it part of my nightly routine to fill the ice cube tray.
Wish me luck!
I know from experience that simple adjustments can cause big changes. I lost my first 5 lbs (in about 1999?) just by giving up Coca-Cola. Maybe this will help hold my weight for the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment