Monday, July 5, 2010

Run, run, as fast as you can

I don't run very fast. So it was an easy decision to offer to be a 'sweeper' for the Learn to Run clinic. My role as one of the group leaders is to make sure:
  • No one gets left behind.
  • No one is lost.
  • No one gets left on the road.
After my clinic, I wasn't expecting this to be a very challenging job. My speed will keep me close to the back middle, so I would slow a little and have some company. The Running Room's clinic is Thursday nights this term and I assumed a small group (20?).

Well, what my parents told me regularly as a teen - assume makes an ASS out of U and ME. This group is pushing 35. Being 1 of 3 group leaders is hard. No one is running the pace they want. It's like the beginning of a race - but for the whole run.

People don't want to slow down. And really? Who am I to tell them they should?

But if you're doing 1 & 2s for 7 sets, and you're in the front of the pack for the first 3 and walking the last 3? You're going out too fast.

When the group moves to 1 & 1s for 10 sets and you're still in the front for the first 3 and walking the last 3? You're going out too fast.

If you're trying to learn to run and you can't breath at the end of a minute? You're going out too fast.

It's not about being fast. It's about getting it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment